2 Portobello mushrooms, stalks removed and chopped
50g/1¾oz unsalted butter
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp olive oil
½ onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ red pepper chopped
50g/1¾oz mild vegetarian blue cheese (you could substitute blue cheese for grated cheddar or any other cheese if preferred)
50g/1¾oz white breadcrumbs
50g/1¾oz fresh chives
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
2. Put the Portobello mushrooms on a baking tray. Divide the unsalted butter between each mushroom. Season with salt and pepper and put a sprig of fresh thyme in both the mushrooms. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry until soft. Add the chopped mushroom stalks and pepper and cook until softened.
4. Spoon the mixture into the baked mushrooms. Put the (blue) cheese on top and sprinkle breadcrumbs all over. Roast the mushrooms for a further 6 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbling.
5. Put the mushrooms on a serving plate, sprinkle over the chopped chives and serve.
All the best Jan